[Sca-cooks] Period Feasts, bread, butter

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 15:49:35 PDT 2016

Anne commented:
<<< With period feasts, you sit down and the food is
served, so there's no waiting period. >>>

Ummm. When and where are you speaking about?

From what I’ve seen, the feast was only a small part of the festivities at least in the “standard” European feast. But we are talking about more regions than that and over a longer time span.

But this does make me think, how was bread handled during a “standard” medieval feast. If they were using trenchers, were separate bread or rolls served? If so, when and how many times was it brought out?

As to why I say that the feast was only part of the festivities:
Med-Fsts-CPHP-art (33K) 12/26/10 "Medieval Feasts - culinary creativity, pageantry, honour and prestige" by Lady Dominica de Zaragoza.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/Med-Fsts-CPHP-art.html

Medievl-Feasts-art (16K) 2/24/05 "The Medieval Feast - An Event, Not Food” by Mistress Willow de Wisp.
http://www.florilegium.org/files/FEASTS/Medievl-Feasts-art.html

Stefan
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com