[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 124, Issue 15

Galefridus Peregrinus galefridus at optimum.net
Thu Sep 1 08:03:44 PDT 2016

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com said:

In the West, I think that's easy: Anthimus (who includes actual recipes
in

what is essentially a dietetic work). Cato doesn't touch on the idea in
his

  collection of recipes and Galen's passing instructions on preparing
food

are too  cursory to be recipes. (Pseudo-) Apicius doesn't touch on the
idea

at all.

I'd surprised if you get any further back than works attributed to

Hippocrates for the general theory, though I believe he's thought to
have had

older models. Going forward, Aldebrandino and Arnaldus may have been the
first

to provide some detailed instructions for making food as part of
dietetic

works.  It's more implied than specific in the first cookbooks, though
Scully

does a  good job of teasing out the humoral underpinnings of the
original

Viandier (as  opposed to the highly corrupt first published version).

Yeah, I'm pretty certain that there's nothing prior to Hippocrates, and
I had already figured out what you say in your first paragraph. In the
East, Ibn Sayyar al-Warraq (10th century) appears to be the earliest
extant source to integrate humoral practice into a cookbook. But I note
that Hippocrates' Regimen is very detailed, and I want to do an item by
item comparison with the Taqwim al-Sihha (11th century) to see whether
Ibn Butlan used Hippocrates as his primary source.

-- Galefridus