[Sca-cooks] Looking for some feedback on a newFlorilegium format

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 21:18:52 PDT 2016

Ana said:
<<< But Stefan my point with all my input was to emphasize how much we love and
need the Florilegium and why not support it with money? If everyone using
it could pitch in with ten dollars each you could have a little income >>>

Well, for a while after I add the ‘donation’ button on the website, occasionally folks would send in some money over PayPal. Initially, some fairly large sums such as 30 or 40 dollars. Nut that gradually decreased over time.

I’m not even sure the donation button is still working. Like the code for searching for things, sometimes the code on the server side of things changes and I don’t know about it.

<<< or why not make an SCA coins event to support your work? >>>

Can you give me more details on this idea? I do period methods of pewter casting and have created numerous site tokens in the past, but at about a quarter for material to make them, my barony has decided it was too much money. I usually sold them at cost or perhaps even a bit below my costs.

For one event, when the event stewards didn’t have any site tokens make, I did make about 50, when I found out about the lack of tokens on the Friday night of the event. I sold them for 50 cents, making a little profit, but mainly letting those who wanted a reminder of the event get something.

For less materials cost, I can now burn wooden ‘nickels” from thin plywood. I even had created a jig to allow me to make double sided coins. One side featured my barony and the other had the Florilegium website, meant to be handed out at a demo.

<<< If you are ill or
tired in the future we should ensure the Florilegium is going to live
further on, as a great tool and as an hommage to all work and care you put
on it.  >>>

Yep, this has been a major concern in the past, especially after I got put on kidney dialysis. I’m feeling better now physically. For a while I was pursuing getting some assistants, who would likely be one of the ones more likely to take over when I can’t continue to do it.  My assistants gradually stopped working on the Florilegium. I have worked out a system for doing things, although as this thread presents, changes can be done to it. Right now, even the description of how to edit a file of messages and append that to an existing file runs to a page or so.

There have been a time or two, when I was close to simply dropping the Florilegium. One of those was when the SCA Editor said folks couldn’t reprint my monthly Florilegium article because it had a link to the Florilegium in it and I had ads on my site to help pay for it, which made it a commercial site. Many people have trouble spelling “florilegium”, much less remembering the link to it without a reminder. Hence I thought I needed at least a simple, short link in the article.

But being the rebel that I am, I decided to stop creating and sending a monthly article to SCA newsletter editors. After all, it may be that most people get such info from the Internet kingdom mail lists and FB groups. And SCA Inc. can’t tell me I can’t post there. And since they were complaining about single link to the top of the site, I decided that I would then start putting a direct link in for all of the new files.

Strange enough, I get more support for the Florilegium from far-flung parts of the Known World than from within my home barony.

Stefan
PS: I finally found a program that seems to convert my PDF files to decent Html code. At least viewing the code doesn’t get all distorted with text on top of diagrams or other text.
https://www.idrsolutions.com/online-pdf-to-html5-converter/
But I still don’t know if it handles links well, and while it works fine to make a stand-alone file, I haven’t figured out if I can insert all or part of it’s output into my Word created HTML header file.

I still want to go back and try inserting the Pdf file into the Word document. But I can only do that one page at a time and it converts the PDF file to it’s own unusual format. But I could still upload the article only PDF file and put a link into the HTML file, as I have been doing for the original Word formatted article.
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris