[Sca-cooks] [Bulk] Re: Allergies was Re: So... here's a challenge I'mtaking on

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Sep 12 18:28:44 PDT 2016

I think Hrothny's solution to the problem is good planning, which is what
you need to handle a range of allergies.  The "Wow" goes to her.

I started dealing with my wife's dietary issues about 12 years ago and I've
slowly expanded it to other people.  The latest incarnation is applying what
I've learned to the SCA feast.  The group I currently work with is small
enough I can play with presentation and techniques and they have quite a few
allergies and dietary issues.  This April, I put on the dog and did an
Elizabethan feast for Outlands A&S Competition, producing a number of
individually portioned dishes to round out the shared dishes and produced
separate servings of modified recipes to meet the dietary issues.  It was an
interesting exercise and I found that if I planned how to prepare the
dishes, then the additional work was minimal.

In October, I'll be preparing a German feast using similar techniques.  I'm
still working things out, but when I have them down, I'll put together a
lecture paper for A&S symposiums and maybe a little hands on
experimentation.

As for getting together in the kitchen, I wander afield and wind up in
strange kitchens, so we may get there one day.

Bear

I say again, Wow!  I would love to spend time in your kitchen!

Shoshanah