[Sca-cooks] [Bulk] Re: Allergies

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Wed Sep 14 14:06:09 PDT 2016

If you can cook a decent meal for a group, you can cook to handle dietary
issues, simply assuming most normal headcooks can't is lowballing their
abilities.  A number of the cooks I have worked with were simply afraid to
step out of their comfort zone to cook for a large group, to attempt a
period feast, or to try to meet dietary issues.  If they are willing to step
beyond, it takes them beyond "normal."

The four points enumerated are the first level in handling dietary issues.
Simply meeting them requires one to plan the meal, itemize the ingredients
and hold fast to the plan.  If you are trying to move beyond this level, a
limited kitchen or a very large number of people at the feast can limit you
to just the first level.  To go further, you need to recognize the
limitations of your environment and plan how to meet or avoid them.

The next level is knowledge about dietary issues.  You have to learn about
various types of allergies and food intolerances and think about
substitutions that can be made to permit a wider group of people to enjoy
the feast.  To do this you need to take reservations and collect individual
dietary data at that time.  You need this data at least a week before the
feast to find ingredients that will meet the needs.  I've started keeping a
book of various individuals dietary issues as a reference so that I don't
forget anything.

The third level is planning the feast with an eye toward all known food
issues, noting on the recipes ingredients that need to to be changed, places
where separate portions need to be removed, or where you might need a
separate dish, such as a loaf of gluten-free bread.

I don't know if it constitutes a fourth level, but having the equipment to
produce individual servings and learning the techniques to use it with
minimal effort to maximum effect, produces a marked improvement in handling
dietary issues.  It may simply represent longevity in ones efforts to be a
better cook.

I'm still practicing to get better at this.

Bear

Bear commented:
<<< I think Hrothny's solution to the problem is good planning, which is
what
you need to handle a range of allergies.  The "Wow" goes to her. >>>

I agree. However, for most normal headcooks, that is really asking too much
of them.

Several years ago, when we last discussed allergies and feasts in detail, I
thought the general consensus was not to try to make separate dishes, often
for folks who don’t show up, but to:
1) Create a variety of dishes
2) Avoid putting the same ingredient in every dish
3) Make an ingredient list available
4) Don’t make substitutions or additions to the food, from what is given on
the list.

Mark Harris
(Stefan, if he thought of disease at all, would think of humors being out of
balance. An idea that will likely be thought of soon as just as ignorant as
the idea that we should sterilize everything and kill all microorganisms
inside and outside of our body to be healthy and safe)