[Sca-cooks] A Thyme and Place by Cohen and Graves

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Sep 18 17:24:17 PDT 2016

No confusion.

St. Brigid of Kildare, who may or may not have existed and is believed to be
a Christianization of the goddess Brigid, is purported to have died in 524
and was canonized some time in the 6th Century.  Her feast day is Feb. 1 in
Ireland, Feb. 2 elsewhere (probably an issue between the Celtic Church and
the Roman Church when they united).  She shows up in writing around 625 and
there are things in her haigiography that suggest that there is a definite
link with the goddess.

St. Brigitta of Vadstena (1303-1373, canonized 1391) founder of the
Brigittine Order is most definitely a real person and her only relation to
the goddess Brigid is her name.   She to has several feast days, depending
on religious affiliation, but in Sweden it is celebrated on Oct. 7, and all
of the others are in the Fall.

Bear

Holy Bridget or Heliga Birgitta is often mixed up with Brigid. But Birgitta
of Sweden canonized much later was an historical person and a noble woman a
widower and the mother of many children.
She is really beloved in Sweden.
Ana