[Sca-cooks] Affording a period feast

Joel Lord jpl at ilk.org
Tue Sep 20 12:31:57 PDT 2016

On 9/20/2016 2:58 PM, Laura Minnick wrote:
> On 9/20/2016 10:05 AM, David Friedman wrote:
>> On 9/18/16 11:37 PM, Volker Bach wrote:
>>
>>> Most of our events could neither afford nor manage a period feast
>> Why "afford?" I don't see any reason why a period feast would have to
>> be more expensive than a not-period feast. Some period recipes use
>> expensive ingredients, some don't.
>>

> That's just what I thought. Unless you're serving generic brand canned
> chili and kool-aid, there's no reason why a period feast would cost
> more than the non-period food. I know I certainly don't spend more for
> period food in camp than I would if it was all modern stuff. Prep
> might be different, but not cost.
>
> And 'manage'? Why would that be any different?
>
> I really can't think of a decent reason why you shouldn't offer a
> period feast.  Unless they're expecting canned chili, it's not like
> the food is _that_ foreign. People would pay far more to get weirder
> food, and less of it, in a nice restaurant setting.

I've now been either co-head cook or solo (just working on my first solo
outing now) for 6 feasts, and as far as I know only 2 of them were not
an attempt, on every single dish, to be period with it.  I think it
*does* raise the price a bit, dish by dish, but not because "period food
should or should not cost more".  I can't bulk out a period stew with
potatoes, for example.  But that's an incremental difference, not a
massive one.

HOWEVER, if the original intent of that statement was to talk about a
real *period feast*, I will largely have to agree with it.  I'm working
on a full-on Elizabethan immersion at the moment with a budget of
$40/plate, and even that doesn't really do it.  Doing it right, I'd
probably have 4 courses of 30 dishes each.  I couldn't fit that in the
budget, and I wouldn't be able to crank out the food even if I had the
money, and that both for facilities and personnel reasons.  I'm going to
end up with more like 4 courses of 5 dishes each, and that's going to be
very, very difficult.

Going further, take a read through Chiquart again.  That's two menus for
ONE FEAST, depending on whether it landed on a feast or fast day.

Depending on which way you want to interpret this, "period feast" is
either quite manageable, or very much not.

--
Joel of Vestfell
mka Joel Lord