[Sca-cooks] true medieval bread recipes

Susan Lord lordhunt at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 13:33:26 PDT 2016

> JIMCHEVAL wrote:
>
> There are lots of adopted recipes out there. But my point is that in the
> West there are virtually no original ones (with the arguable exception of
> Platina).

The various bread recipes in Fadalat and Anon Al-Andalus are true. My access to them is the Spanish translation from Hispano Arabic.

What I doing is translate them from Spanish to English. Then I make them in my kitchen and in doing so add the measurements I use and the oven degrees, when applicable, but I stick to the recipe. If I cannot find an ingredient, I state that and do provide the name of the substitute if one is used. Perhaps I am using the wrong word saying I "adapt" these recipes. Would it be better to say "interpret?"

When I started the blog in 2010, I did not provide a copy of the original recipe. Since I don’t remember when (cause of SCA requests) I do copy and paste the original recipe at the end of the blog so the reader can examen the "true" recipe as you call it.