[Sca-cooks] true medieval bread recipes

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Tue Sep 20 15:41:29 PDT 2016

Actually, Jim is the one who pointed me at the nearest thing to a
precise western period bread recipe (I think 15th century) that I've
seen. Unfortunately, I have so far been unsuccessful in duplicating it.
The text gives the weight of the loaves going into the oven, the weight
coming out, and I can't get mine to lose enough weight. I'm not sure if
I am doing something wrong in making it, misreading the text, or if the
text has a scribal error.

There are, of course, multiple period bread recipes in al-Warraq.

On 9/20/16 12:00 PM, Stefan li Rous wrote:
> Jim Chevallier said:
> <<< in fact, in the West, there are  virtually no true medieval
> bread recipes. >>>
>
> Not quite true, but yes they are very limited.
>
> I think the number is around dozen and a half, depending upon how broadly you define “bread”. I think I have about a dozen in the Florilegium. Someday, I may group them together in a file only on period bread recipes, cutting out a lot of the commentary, which will remain in the other bread files.
>
> Stefan
> --------
>     Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com

David Friedman