[Sca-cooks] true medieval bread recipes

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Sep 20 22:09:25 PDT 2016

Bread is a staple food made primarily of flour and a liquid, usually water.
It may be modified with other ingredients such as fat, sweetener, yeast,
salt, etc.  It may be topped or filled.  Pastes and pastries tend to be
higher in the secondary than most breads.  When the toppings and fillings
are the primary food, the dough is more properly characterized as a wrapper,
coffin, shell or pastry.

That said, bread is whatever a culture says is bread.  Still lots of wiggle
room.

Bear

Greetings! Someone commented that a definition was needed for "bread".
Is dough that encompasses fillings or has various toppings (honey, oil,
cinnamon, etc.) to be considered as "bread"? The Anonymous Andalusian
has several recipes for flatbreads, and quite a number of "dough"
recipes which have flour and oil, with or without "leavening".

I don't think any are like what we in the modern world commonly think of
as bread: baked in a loaf pan, and raised with yeast of one sort or
another.

<clipped>

Alys K. (being curmudgeonly)