[Sca-cooks] true medieval bread recipes

JIMCHEVAL at aol.com JIMCHEVAL at aol.com
Wed Sep 21 08:43:13 PDT 2016

I was glad to find that, and grateful to you for trying to reproduce it.
But it's not a recipe. I suspect there are even more detailed bread trials
tucked away in regional archives, but only know of one scholar who's even
gone  around looking at them. These too might provide a basis - even an earlier
basis  - for reproducing French medieval bread. But they still wouldn't be
recipes.

I should point out that bread recipes in general are rare on the French
side. Even for nineteenth century bread, the best instructions we have for
making standard Parisian bread come from an American who was documenting the
process. The biggest exceptions probably come in the documentation-happy
eighteenth century, with Malouin and Parmentier.

Jim  Chevallier
_www.chezjim.com_ (http://www.chezjim.com/)

FRENCH BREAD HISTORY:  Seventeenth century bread
http://leslefts.blogspot.com/2016/02/french-food-history-seventeenth-century
.html

In a message dated 9/21/2016 12:36:44 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,