[Sca-cooks] Soaking Semolina and When Life Gives You Lemons

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Sep 23 23:34:27 PDT 2016

As described in a previous message, I ended up with 2c semolina in about
1 1/2c water and the question of what to do with it. One obvious
solution was to add more semolina. Since the bread was a first try
experiment, I didn't want to make a lot of it.

So I took one cup of the semolina mix, combined it with a cup of
semolina (Indian Sooji in both cases), 2T sourdough and 1/2 t salt,
kneaded it smooth. It's now sitting wrapped in linen and (hopefully) rising.

That left me with another cup of the semolina mix. As I mentioned in
another message, what Susan described as the third bread recipe in
/Fadalat/ looked to me like a variant on a dish I'm familiar with and
have made many times from the Anonymous Andalusian. So I decided to make
it.

Another cup of semolina added to the remaining mix, knead for a long
time until it's very elastic, roll out very thin, brush with melted
butter, fold. For some I did one fold, for some multiple folds. Roll it
a bit thinner, press with the palm, fry it in butter. I started using
regular butter then switched to clarified butter (ghee) because it works
better as a cooking oil. I don't know if the Arabic original specified.

After using all my dough, beating each piece between my hands after
frying to loosen it, I poured on some hot beaten honey (not sure how I
should be whipping it), sprinkled with cinnamon sugar, notified the rest
of the family that we had a late desert.

The main question that occurs to me is whether to interpret the
instructions as separating it into the component layers before adding
honey and serving. That might be easier if I interpret the folding as a
single fold. The version I'm familiar with has you roll out the dough,
brush on butter, roll it up like  carpet, twist, flatten, fold, flatten,
which gives you many layers. You strike it between your hands at the end
to loosen them, but you don't try to pull the individual layers apart.
Perhaps for this you do, since it does say:

"hit it with your hand so it breaks and separates one piece from another."

--
David Friedman
www.daviddfriedman.com