[Sca-cooks] Cooked Fried Chicken

Galefridus Peregrinus galefridus at optimum.net
Mon Sep 26 10:28:15 PDT 2016

> Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2016 14:57:04 -0500
> From: Stefan li Rous To: Cooks within the SCA Subject: [Sca-cooks]
> Cooked Fried Chicken

<snipped>

> The original recipe that you linked to is:
> <<< Cooked Fried Chicken
>
> Cut up the chicken, making two pieces from each limb; fry it with
> plenty of fresh oil; then take a pot and throw in four spoonfuls of
> vinegar and two of murri naq?' and the same amount of oil, pepper,
> cilantro, cumin, a little garlic and saffron. Put the pot on the fire
> and when it has boiled, put in the fried chicken spoken of before, and
> when it is done, then empty it out and present it. >>>
>
> It talks about cutting up the limbs into handy pieces, but what about
> the rest of the chicken. Galefridus did you use a whole chicken or
> perhaps breast chunks or chicken limbs (which can be bought as just
> that in a package). The whole chicken doesn?t seem to work so well for
> demos.

I used leg quarters. Modern chickens are way too big, unless you can
find smaller birds. Sometimes I use a half chicken when a whole one is
called for.

> What did you use for ?murri naqi??

Murri is a grain-based fermented sauce, primarily a source of umami
flavors. I haven't had the time to make some myself, so I use Maggi
seasoning (a fermented wheat product) as a substitute.

> Am I correct in thinking that the frying in oil just browns the
> outside of the chicken pieces and it needs to finish cooking in
> vinegar/murri/oil and spice mixture to finish cooking?

Yeah, you're browning the chicken, deglazing the pan with murri and
vinegar, then adding back the chicken to complete the cooking.

-- Galefridus