[Sca-cooks] Yeast and Bread in Norway

Robin Carroll-Mann rcarrollmann at gmail.com
Tue Aug 22 07:20:36 PDT 2017

I shared your question with a friend in Norway. This is not his area of
expertise, but he's an academic librarian, and looked at some web pages in
Norwegian.  He said:

I have tried to do some searching, poor results. As for town use,
risen bread was eaten, but I do not know what kind of yeast was used.
In the countryside, risen bread was not commonly used before the
latter part of the 19th century. It was flat bread and lefse which was
made, both baked out very flat and dried. It was excellent for storage
during the long winter and contents was either barley and oat (flat
bread) or potatoes (lefse). (I would guess that risen bread would be
much poorer for storage.) That and porridge were the most common and
important food, in addition to the occasional meat and fruits/berries
and herbs.

Brighid ni Chiarain