[Sca-cooks] New 544 CE Chinese Recipes

Jim and Andi jimandandi at cox.net
Thu Feb 9 20:56:34 PST 2017

This is so exciting. I have so many questions about your translation!

"Taro seed"- what was the original term? Do you mean Colocasia esculenta? Because I grow Colocasia esculenta, and it has no seeds. The parts you eat are the root (actually a corm) and the leaves. It's an elephant ear plant.

"Beans" again, what was the original word used? Do you think it means soy beans, broad beans, azuki beans, or something else?

"Indofevillea khasiana" I googled this to no avail. Is this "winter melon/wax gourd"? or another kind of gourd?

"Sour rice water" could totally be a thing, it's very common in Indian cooking all through history too (called kanji, similar to congee) often sweetened and spiced like a medieval ginger beer.

"Zongzi" Almost this exact dish is also found in India. I really want to try this.

Don't be too quick to dismiss the use of starch in pickle-making. Many modern-traditional Korean kimchi recipes use a base of boiled glutinous rice flour paste. That method makes the most lovely, crunchy, and long-lasting kimchi you've ever eaten.

Can't wait to try these dishes. Thank you so much for doing this work, it's really wonderful.

Madhavi
Trimaris