[Sca-cooks] taro

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Feb 20 09:58:52 PST 2017

Arrowroot is a generic name for Maranta arundinacea.  Other plants called
arrowroot and used in a similar manner in cooking are generally modified by
adding the region where the are found.  Thus, Manihot esculenta (cassava) is
Brazilian arrowroot, Pueraria lobata is Japanese arrowroot and  Zamia
integrifolia is Florida arrowroot.  Cassava has a tuber that is similar to
taro's corms, so that may be a source of confusion, although cassava must be
processed to remove cyanogenic glucosides.

Bear

I don't think arrowroot is the same as taro.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arrowroot