[Sca-cooks] Springerle information from Thomas Gloning

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sat Jan 7 16:25:04 PST 2017

Here is the information as given by Thomas Gloning

Johnnae

Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 22:40:22 +0100
From: Thomas Gloning
Subject: SC - Springerle

<< I am looking for the historical background for Springerle cookies. I
have found they had different names for different regions. One such name
is Eierzucker.
I haven't found much besides reference to them being many centuries old.
I would like to make some for an A & S competition. >>

The "Handwˆrterbuch des deutschen Aberglaubens" ['Concise dictionary of
German folklore and superstition'; concise here means, that there are
only 10 vols.] says that "Springerle" are attested only from the 17th
century onwards. They stand in two historical traditions:

- -- the tradition of "Weihnachtsgeb‰ck" [pastry made for Christmas] with
several possible ritual meanings,
- -- the tradition of the "Gebildbrote" [bread and pastry in a certain
form, e.g. of men, parts of the body, animals, etc.].

Of course both traditions are very much older and are widespread in
different cultures. [There are huge articles on "Weihnachtsgeb‰ck" and
"Gebildbrote" for those who both read German and can locate a copy of
the "Handwˆrterbuch".] -- As far as I can see at present, the etymology
of the word "Springerle" for the cookies is not clear. Apart from the
"Handwˆrterbuch des deutschen Aberglaubens", I looked up the 33-vol.
dictionary of the Grimms, and the 7-volume "Schw‰bisches Wˆrterbuch",
'Dictionary of the Suebian language', which is important because
Springerle are specific for Southern Germany and Austria.

Here is the oldest recipe I have, where "Springerl" (the Austrian form,
"Springerle" is Suebian) are mentioned. It is from 1686; further recipes
are from 1706 and 1764.

"Springerl zu machen.
NJmme ein Pfund Zucker/ sto? und f‰he jhn/ nimb 24. Loth Mehl/ und misch
darunter/ nimb Zimmet/ N‰gl/ Muscatnu?/ und Lemonisch‰ller/ schneids so
klein als du kanst/ misch es auch darunter/ machs an mit Ayrklar/ und
Lemonisafft/ mach den Taig so dick als du kanst/ knˆt jhn wol ab/ walck
jhn au?/ am d¸nsten wie ein Papier/ truck auff einer Seiten den Modl/
la? ein paar Stund stehen/ darnach bachs Semmelbraun/ la? k¸hl werden/
¸berstreichs mit einem Ei?/ leg es wider in die Torten=Pfannen/ da? das
Ei? Blatern gibt/ la? k¸hl werden."

(Ein Koch- Und Artzney-Buch 1686,
p.4.  the first printed cookbook of Austria)

Roughly: 'To make Springerle
Take a pound of sugar, pound and sieve, take 24. Loth [one Loth is about
18 gramm] of flour, and mix it. Take cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and lemon
peels, chop it as fine as you can, and mix it among the other stuff. Add
white of eggs and lemon juice, and make the dough as firm (?) as you
can, knead it well, make it flat as thin as paper, press it into a model
from one side, allow to stand for several hours, then bake it brown like
rolls, let cool off, spread it with icing [frosting?], put it back into
the pan, so that the icing raises blisters. Let cool off.'

Thomas