[Sca-cooks] Old Springerle Recipes?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Jan 7 17:10:55 PST 2017

The basic recipes for springerle and tirggel are different.  Springerle are
made of flour, sugar, egg and anise.  Tirggel are roughly 1/3 honey, flour,
sugar and water with the sugar probably being a more modern addition to the
recipe.

According to the Schweizerisches Idiotikon, the earliest written reference
(spelled "dirgel") is from 1461.  There are other references from the 15th
and 16th Centuries that are more informative than the first reference.

Bear

Gingerbread, springerle, speculaas, shortbread, tirggel, bildlebkuchen,
lebkuchen and honey cakes are some of the cookies, which lend themselves to
being molded or printed. A replicamold can be used for a variety of cookies.

Actually a recipe for  Springerle appears in the first printed cookery book
from Austria. Our friend  and former list member Professor Thomas Gloning
found and translated the recipe. It's in the Florilegium.
Gloning, Thomas. “Letter on Springerle.” 27 January 2000. Food-Germany File.
Stefan’s Florilegium. www.florilegium.org [Earliest printed recipe for
springerle dating from 17th century.]

Another article which goes into their early history is:
Hudgins, Sharon. “Edible Art: Springerle Cookies.” Gastronomica. IV, no.4,
2004. pp. 66-71. Provides interesting reading & a list of sources for those
desiring more information on molds. Online through Jstor.

The honey cakes known as Tirggel are not the same item. My article on
replica molds and cookies has all the info.
https://cynnabar.org/files/Citadel2014-Winter.pdf
<https://cynnabar.org/files/Citadel2014-Winter.pdf>

Johnnae

Sent from my iPad