[Sca-cooks] spelling checkers

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Jan 14 08:21:27 PST 2017

Don't know about Facebook, but in Windows, spell check can usually be
located through the ABC button on the tool bar or by locating File >Options
 >(possibly application name) >Spelling and Auto Check.  Word (I believe) has
gone to File >Options >Proofing.

Character alteration is probably an issue of different ASCII translation
tables being used in the sending and receiving machines.  It was a real
problem before the introduction of the Unicode standards in 1991.  What is
probably happening is one of the PCs is using the (obsolete) USC-2 and UTF-8
which don't have a precise overlap.  UTF-16 became the standard in 2000(?).
There are still a lot of back-level systems and applications out there.

Bear

chimene/chimney said:
<<< OH! argle! ?chimney? again!  ?. well, looks like we finally found all
the places to turn off auto-spell-check, so hopefully when I sign things
?chimene?, they?ll STAY ?chimene?!!! >>>

How? where do you do this? I’m getting rather tired of spelling checkers
(mostly on Facebook?) that not only keep changing (wrongly) what I write to
something else, but I’m even more upset at the ones that keep changing it
back to the wrong item after I correct it!

Stefan
(and why, for the past few years, do quotation marks come across this list
as question marks? That didn’t used to be the case)
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris