[Sca-cooks] spelling checkers

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 23:02:39 PST 2017

Chimene replied to me with:
<<<<Hi Stefan,

First, I?m on a Mac, so that may make a lot of the following not very helpful. >>>

Well, since I have a stable of Macs here, and just added a used 2013 MacBook Pro for the new job I just started, don't be so sure. :-)  When I have to use Windows software, as in my current work, I run Windows under emulation (Parallels).

<<< Basically, we went into the Preferences for the Mail program and told it to turn off the spell-checker altogether. This sounds good but didn?t work. >>>

I thought I looked there, but didn't see anything like that.

<<< So we also went into the system preferences (Keyboard),to the Text tab, and UNchecked the ?correct spelling automatically?. That did it, apparently. Now, I don?t know if you actually have to do BOTH steps, but when we did, whichever spell-check gave up. >>>

Oh! I didn't know all those options existed!

<<<PC ?smart quotes? when viewed on a Mac, come across as question marks. PCs are universal, eh? Anything we do outside of proper HTML won?t make any difference, right? Hmm, that same location (System Preferences - Keyboard - Text) also lists good-old smart quotes! I just unchecked THAT completely... although I hadn't noticed the question mark thing at all. Maybe your system has that too. >>>

LOL. I saw that and immediately turned that off. I'm not sure if it helps or not. One of the things I have to do in all my article editing for the Florilegium is to blanket replace all " with " and the same with '. Since I have Word set to not use 'smart' quotes, that replaces all of them with standard ASCII stuff. If I don't, they end up being rather strange characters in the Word generated HTML file. Yep, looks like Word doesn't know how to handle it's own 'smart' quotes when generating HTML! 'Smart' quotes. What an oxymoron.

See, there's those question marks in your message and my quote of it. I looked at your original message in the digest, and it's there, too. That maybe the digestifier software, as I think, Bear suggested.

<<< Doncha' just love when the designers decide what's new and neat that they can do TO you? At least we still have SOME control, although it shrinks all the time, thanks to "Big Bro knows what's best for little-dumb-consumer"! Apple is increasingly removing existing functionality in favor of what THEY think their customers should be liking. They really don't like to leave the user with any possibility of  deciding what works for USER! >>>

Part of it is probably my problem for not spending hours after each system upgrade, trying to figure out what is new and how to use it. Unfortunately, sometimes they do change things in ways that don't work for me. I'd love to step back a revision or two on the iOS maps program. Many things have moved or changed functions and I can't seem to get things working as well as I once could.

<<< Well, that's enough whinging about Apple! >>>

Well, it's not only Apple. As I mentioned, I think it is Facebook that wants to keep changing things back, AFTER I change them from their first 'correction'. There may be a "Facebook for Dummies" book, but I haven't gone looking. Yet.

<<< Hope any of the above will help!

chimene >>>

It was.
Stefan