[Sca-cooks] Pie crust in Martino

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Fri Jan 27 11:06:10 PST 2017

We are doing a cooking workshop tomorrow and one of the recipes I was
thinking of doing is a Martino tort--Custard. Looking through the
chapter on tortes I have not yet found any explanation of what the crust
is. The obvious alternatives are either a flour and water dough or a
flour, water, and fat dough like a modern pie crust. I haven't checked
Platina yet.

Does anyone happen to have a clear answer, a description in one of the
early Italian sources of what the crust of a tort was?

On another subject, looking through al-Warraq I was reminded of one
problem with the translation. It routinely says things such as "two
uqiyya (1/4 cup)." It treats "ratl" as a pound. That would get
proportions correct if there were sixteen uqiya to the ratl as in the
standard modern ounce/pound ratio, but  there are twelve uqiyya to the
ratl, like the Troy system.

--
David/Cariadoc
www.daviddfriedman.com