[Sca-cooks] Sca-cooks Digest, Vol 134, Issue 2

Susan Sackett guillanedv at aol.com
Sat Jun 3 12:02:12 PDT 2017

It very difficult to ensure that 100% of all alcohol is cooked out of a dish.  Especially a wine based beverage, yet there is an exemption for limited quantities used in cooking.

Also, the SCA in the US has to factor in liability risks when making policy decisions, something that a parent giving wine to his or her children in the UK on Christmas doesn't.

Often, other non profit organizations may choose to serve at their fundraisers but they buy dram shop insurance.  Since we hold over a thousand events a year in the US, it is too great a risk to manage and be affordable,  if we could even find a insurer willing to write a policy.  Where I live, every alcohol server has to undergo training by a certified instructor before they can work as a provision of the employer's license.

Guillane