[Sca-cooks] Concerning Ryori Monogatari

Stefan li Rous stefanlirous at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 21:06:54 PST 2017

Thorfinnr Hrothgeirsson commented:
<<< Hello, I'm the fellow translating ???? (Qimin Yaoshu).  You can follow
along at brewing.alecstory.org. >>>

What are you planning on doing with it, after you finish translating it? I'm always willing to add it to the FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS section in the Florilegium.

Or are you planning on trying to get it published as a book somewhere? Not wanting to compete with you if that is the case. Just interested in helping make it available. There certainly seems to be some interest in some quarters. Although as Soup for the Qan showed, a very high price can drastically affect the number sold. :-(

<<< I've got several recipes for yeast cakes up there, which are the ancestor of Japanese koji, >>>

Which is what?

<<<<although the process is rather different.  The wheat base in the yeast cakes adds a soy sauce-like character that sake lacks. >>>

Were these yeast cakes a period item? Do you mean by this solidified yeast, as in the powdered yeast sold today to make beverages or bread? Was this a way to store yeast? Or are you speaking of a cake made of wheat with yeast in it?

<<< As a side note, it seems that Unicode characters do sometimes make it
through the list - I could read Solveig's just fine.  In that light I'll
continue to post characters when it's appropriate, but sign my name using
ASCII. >>>

The digest though, apparently unlike the list itself, has the characters turned into question marks. And the various quote symbols. :-(

However, I'm still saving these various messages to be added to the Florilegium fd-Japan-msg file since I think most folks will still find the messages useful even without the Japanese words and certainly more useful than not having the messages.

I certainly didn't know about wasabi. Now, I'm beginning wonder how much of the wasabi I've eaten really was wasabi.
--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris