[Sca-cooks] (Yet) another translation question: cooking hard versus cooking well

Julia Szent-Gyorgyi jpmiaou at gmail.com
Sun Oct 1 06:58:13 PDT 2017

Quoth Stefan:
> I think the digestifier that turns the list messages into digests, doesn't recognize or translate all fonts well.

I doubt it's fonts; it's more likely encoding. Something in the list
software doesn't do Unicode properly. I think it tries to use HTML
entities instead (ampersand-stuff-semicolon), but proper email is
text, not HTML, so that doesn't work with many email providers.

For single words, I suppose I could use Da'ud notation: _kem{e'}ny_
'hard' and _k{e'}m{e'}ny_ 'chimney'. It gets tedious and hard to read
for longer texts, but it's not like most of y'all could read that
anyway. :-)

(For those whose SCA activities don't include book heraldry: Da'ud
notation was invented by Master Da'ud ibn Auda back in the Dark Ages
of online communication, when most systems choked on non-ASCII
characters like á {a'} and æ {ae}. The list at
https://www.scadian.net/heraldry/daud.html is not quite current:
o-umlaut is {o:}, not {o"}, because the " was needed for Hungarian's
double-acutes.)

Who's the list owner? Can he/she/they look into the encoding settings?
Unicode is a well-developed standard now, so there's really no excuse
for the continued mangling of non-ASCII characters in online
communications.

Oh, and a test: ő (o-double acute: {o"}) and ű (u-double acute: {u"})
don't have corresponding HTML entities. What does the list and/or
digestifier do with them?

Julia
/\ /\