[Sca-cooks] En papillote...

Glenn Gorsuch ggorsuch at gmail.com
Sun Sep 3 14:56:35 PDT 2017

I am looking for period references to cooking in this style.  I know,
crazy, but there appears to be one such reference in the Prince of
Transylvania's cookbook, and I was wondering if there were others known.

What we have is this:

Cooking capon in a sheet

Take out the fat capon's feathers and intestines, stitch it, put it on a
skewer, tie the sheet  to the capon with a thread, cook it from afar to not
burn the paper sheet. You can cook other things in paper, like sheep liver.

Not precisely the classic en papillote method, but it still appears to be
cooking in paper with the result of holding in steam.  Any other references
known?

Gwyn