[Sca-cooks] Cooking workshop 9/3

David Friedman ddfr at daviddfriedman.com
Mon Sep 4 15:25:30 PDT 2017

Only two people ended up coming, possibly because of Labor Day. But with
two of them, three of us, and my doing two recipes, we got through six
recipes, all at least moderately successful, some generating new
information.

The most interesting was probably Güllach, a Mongol/Chinese recipe that
has been argued to be, or be connected to, an ancestor of Baklava. Here
is the recipe as translated by Þórfinnr,  who has been working on
Chinese culinary stuff. I also had a different published translation.

/Take "chicken clear," bean powder, and yogurt. Mix it well, spread it
out, and shallow-fry it to form cakes. Make a layer of fine white sugar,
pine nut meat, and walnut meat. Follow it with a layer of cake. Like
this make 3-4 layers. On top, irrigate with Hui oil mixed with honey,
and eat them/.

The other translation had "egg white" for "chicken clear," which seems
reasonable, and "bean paste" for "bean powder." I tried two different
interpretations, one using ground red adzuki beans for bean powder, one
using soaked, cooked, mashed red adzuki beans for bean paste. I
interpreted "Hui oil" as "ghee," as suggested by my other source.

The bean powder version, 1/2 c of ground beans plus 2 egg whites and 3 T
yogurt, worked, fried in sesame oil (untoasted sesame oil, not the
strongly flavored dark oil from toasted sesame seeds). It made
reasonably crisp cakes, thicker than I thought ideal.

My first try at the other version, 1/2 c beans + 2 egg whites +4T
yogurt, didn't work--the fried cakes fell apart. So I experimented with
a higher ratio of egg white. With one egg white added to 1/2 c of the
bean mixture it was workable, but the cakes were soft, like omelets.

I made a filling of equal amounts of sugar, ground pine nuts and ground
walnuts, used each version to make a stack of alternating cake and
filling. I then mixed equal volumes of honey and melted ghee and poured
it on.

Both versions tasted good. I may try the ground version again, aiming at
thinner cakes.

In the ensuing FB discussion, someone mentioned mung bean starch, used
in making noodles including "sheets," as a possibility for the bean
powder. That interested me because Al Warraq's recipes for making the
sheets for lawzinaj, my current candidate for period Baklava
ancestor/equivalent, uses starch and egg whites. I plan to see if our
local Chinese supermarket has mung bean starch, and if so see if it works.

.