[Sca-cooks] Is there a word for this in English?

Julia Szent-Gyorgyi jpmiaou at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 14:24:13 PDT 2017

Margaret Toodles suggests:
> this might be a case where it's good to leave the original word as is and provide a description of what's required. If that's done occasionally in a translation, it can be very effective.

I've done that with a few words: pinnata, saffel, s(c)atula, and I'm
debating doing it with pincellus. (Although I'm open to suggestions of
English equivalents.) These are all loan-words, mostly from or via
Italian; I've been reluctant to do it with Hungarian words, because
the language isn't Indo-European, so any apparent cognates are likely
to be false. Although _konc_ is also a borrowing, it's a pre-10th
century one via a Slavic language, and the source words don't have the
'n'...

Multiple people suggested "marrow bone", but that's not what this is,
really. _Konc_ is also applicable to things like ribs and knuckles
that aren't a source of marrow. The salient feature is the stuff on
the *outside* of the bone. For specifically marrow bones, you can
specify _velős konc_, or modernly more often _velős csont_, where
_csont_ is 'bone'.

My current placeholder is "meaty bones."

Thank you for all the suggestions so far!

Julia
/\ /\