[Sca-cooks] (Yet) another translation question: cooking hard versus cooking well

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Sat Sep 30 09:08:56 PDT 2017

Always a tricky decision.  If there are several different meanings, I
mentally class each situation.  If there is a certainty, or near
certainty, that a particular English word is appropriate in a particular
context, I will translate it with that word.  If there is uncertainty
(degree of uncertainty is the translator's call) but still a definite
likelihood of it being a particular English word, I will use that word
but add a footnote about there being a chance it could mean one or more
of the other meanings.  If it is too unclear to call, then I will either
leave the original word, with footnote; or give a multiple translation
(a/b/c) with footnote.

In all these cases, comparing with other old or modern recipes or with
cook's intuition may help decide.

In this particular context, I'd go with "well done" or equivalent.

James / Thorvald