[Sca-cooks] Date for battered deep-fried stuff

Julia Szent-Gyorgyi jpmiaou at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 08:38:54 PDT 2018

Re: The Science of Cooking

It's a crowd-funded translation, done by a guy who is neither a
historian nor a cook, so there are a bunch of things he got wrong
(such as pine nuts instead of juniper berries); Glenn has managed to
fix the worst of these, based on input from my sister and me, but
there are doubtless still things to fix. Another characteristic of the
translation is that the translator's solution to the hard parts was to
simply skip them, leading to some recipes that simply don't make any
sense.

If you encounter something that you can't make sense of, let me or
Glenn know in some way, such as by posting to this list. I'll check
the transcription (http://digitalia.lib.pte.hu/?p=2184#toc) and see
what I can come up with, and Glenn will put it in the next update.

Medieval Cookery (http://medievalcookery.com/etexts.html?Hungary) also
has my translations of two (much) shorter recipe collections from the
same time period and general area/school of cooking, plus my attempt
at a basic glossary for the topic. There is a lot of overlap with the
recipes in the Science of Cooking, so comparison and contrast can be
edificatory. :-)

Julia Kolosvari Arpadne
/\ /\