[Sca-cooks] The Science of Cooking

Julia Szent-Gyorgyi jpmiaou at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 22:14:13 PDT 2018

>> Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2018 06:54:36 +0000 (UTC)
>> From: Volker Bach <carlton_bach at yahoo.de>
>>
>>  No, it's going to be a reproduction, I assume. There is no translation of
>> de Rontzier on the market that I'm aware of ....

This is the first I've ever heard of "de Rontzier". From what I can
find online, one Frantz de Rontzier published a cookbook in 1598, a
version of which was published in 1979 in Germany (available on German
Amazon for 73 Euros:
https://www.amazon.de/Kunstbuch-von-mancherley-mancherlei-Essen/dp/3806311528/ref=la_B001K1SA5A_1_1/258-0877690-2812464?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1533356534&sr=1-1).
Obviously, de Rontzier is in German. Science of Cooking is in
Hungarian, and the author speaks of himself as being very specifically
Hungarian from Transylvania.

But let's keep looking. Per an article on Eggs in Cookery
(https://books.google.com/books?id=cfP6jHmSLnMC&pg=PT96&lpg=PT96&dq=de+Rontzier+Braunschweig&source=bl&ots=NTu8Y7c4py&sig=-Min1bF6ip277WnQO3DxHJMrW00&hl=en&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwju5JiExtLcAhXD64MKHayZAn0Q6AEwAnoECAkQAQ#v=onepage&q=de%20Rontzier%20Braunschweig&f=false),
de Rontzier was personal chef of the dukes of Braunschweig-Lüneburg,
and he recorded a half a dozen ways to serve poached eggs, including
one sauce involving gooseberries.

I looked through the section on eggs (tikmony) in the transcription of
Science of Cooking (http://digitalia.lib.pte.hu/?p=2184#toc). None of
the recipes are for poached eggs, and none of the egg recipes involve
gooseberry (egres).

I see little resemblance between what I can find about de Rontzier and
what I know about the Science of Cooking. They're not the same thing.

Julia
/\ /\