[Sca-cooks] Nuskha-e-Shajahani

Sam Wallace guillaumedep at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 15:28:20 PST 2018

Hello,

The comment concerning the translation and transcription is simply an
observation. I prefer to have at least a transcription facing the
translated text and have seen this as a standard in many other
publications. I look at Perry's work as following quite a high standard and
very much appreciate what he brings to the table (sorry!). This publication
has a lot of issues that should have been solved during the editing
process. While the original measures might have been left, the format is
certainly modern. I believe some of the ingredients have been listed as
what is typically used today versus what was used in the period of the
original text (e.g. pumpkin vs. ash gourd). My overall impression is that
the author wanted to make a cookbook that the general population would be
interested in rather than target the historical cooking community.

To follow up the issue of the units of measure, the modern equivalents
given in the book are not consistent. In one case, the UOM given in the
glossary isn't even used anywhere in the text. I did some digging so that I
would have at least a starting point and found the following

Weight

seer 637.74 gram
pao 159.44 gram
dam   20 gram
tank     5 gram
masha     1.5 gram
damri     1 gram

Measurements of volume were, from what I found in a couple of different
resources, just the amount of volume that the given weight of a particular
liquid would take up. It is not a similar question to liquid vs solid
ounces for example.

I hope this is useful.

Guillaume

Greetings: