[Sca-cooks] The Julab puzzle possibly solved

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Tue Feb 20 16:00:39 PST 2018

Interesting problem.  Avicenna crosses the 10th-11th Century boundary and
lived and died in Persia.  His work is heavily influenced by Galen
(primarily 2nd Century), so we can make some assumptions about the
measurements used.

You  have found a reference that the Arabic physicians used the Attic mina
with a value of approximately 436 g.  There are two Attic minas.  The
Attic(Euboic) mina of roughly 433.7 g equal in weight to 100 drachma or 100
denarii is the first.  At this juncture, the denarius is 1/72 of a Roman
pound (or 6 denarii to the ounce) .  In 64 CE, Nero reduced the weight of
the denarius to 3.37 g, setting the weight of the Attic mina to 337 g and
making the denarius 1/96 of a pound (or 8 denarii to the ounce).   Since
Galen antedates Nero, it is likely the Attic mina established by Nero is the
one that is used.  Of course, I'm ignoring the fact that Avicenna  studied
Aristotle and was known to have spent considerable time the philosopher's
work.

Calculating this with Nero's measures, the ratio of sugar to liquid is right
at 2.08:1.  Using the earlier measures the ratio is approx. 2.8:1.

The mann (mana is the Arabic form) in the 10th Century Persia ranged from
260 dirhams (dirham = drachma=approx. 3.2 g) to 2080 dirhams depending on
location.   Given the locations and period Avicenna, I think he would have
commonly used the mann of 260 dirhams.    According to Marcinkowski,
Measures and Weights in the Islamic World (as filtered through a couple
other sources), the mann always replaced the ratl in Persia.  If the
"ounces" in this translation mean 1/12 of a mann, then the sugar to liquid
ratio is 2:1.

At the minute, I can't do much further research needing some access to some
offline sources I don't have or the time to chase them.

Bear