[Sca-cooks] Articles for Florilegium

Suey Lord lordhunt at gmail.com
Tue Jan 16 13:24:46 PST 2018

> Today's Topics:
>
>   1. Stefan's Florilegium files for January 2018 (Stefan li Rous)

> Message: 1
> Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2018 16:21:08 -0600
> From: Stefan li Rous <stefanlirous at gmail.com>
> To: SCA-Cooks maillist SCA-Cooks <SCA-Cooks at Ansteorra.org>
> Subject: [Sca-cooks] Stefan's Florilegium files for January 2018
>
> Greetings to the Gentlefolk of the SCA,
>
> Here is a copy of my Florilegium article for January 2018, detailing what is new in the Florilegium this month.
>
> I am always looking for good articles for the Florilegium. If you have researched something in our period or you practice a little known art or craft, writing an article is an excellent way to introduce others to the work you've done. I'm especially interested in academic papers written for A&S contests because, unfortunately, few have time at such an event to read them. Even the judges. Getting them published in the Florilegium lets your hard word benefit the entire Known World. Word format is the easiest for me to handle, but others are possible.
>
> You don't have to be finished with your research or have a "perfect" article. Other people can still learn from and be inspired by what you've already done. You keep the copyright and you can always update it in the future. If you're already sent something, but haven't heard back from me, please feel free to email me again. Possibly I didn't get it or I'm waiting for additional permissions or for answers to some questions or even simply having trouble with the original article format.
>
> Thanks,
> Stefan

I  do produce 4 blogs a week. Perhaps you would be like to reproduces some  of them - for instance (this includes a photo by I don’t think your system can reproduce it - a pity it is a yummy cake!):

ROSCA WITH A RECIPE FOR KING'S DAY CAKE

coil, ring, twist, curl, spiral; ring shaped cake made with wheat flour, if available, and yeast, covered with egg white, sugar, sprinkled with colored sweets and decorated with loops. The cake dates back to pagan times. Three hundred years go, the Christian church picked up on the tradition, using the same type of cake in Kings’ Day celebrations on January 6th. Although not traditional during the Middle Ages, a home baked cake was made to celebrate the arrival of the three kings to Bethlehem on January 6th. [ES: Carroll-Mann.Guisados 2-art. Jun 6, 01:ftn 133; and García Rey. 1934:13]

TODAY’S KING’S DAY CAKE, THE SUCCESSOR OF THE ROSCA, A MEDIEVAL RING SHAPED CAKE

Ingredients

2 c flour
1 c warm milk
1 ½ - 2 tbsp fresh yeast
½ c 120 g sugar
½ c 120 g melted butter or margarine
2 eggs and 1 yolk
2 tsp salt
½ tbsp orange blossom water
zest from 1 large lemon and 1 orange

Garnish
1 egg beaten
candied fruits as desired such as slices of an orange
powdered sugar
figurines that can be baked

Preparation

Mix warm milk with 2-3 tbsp flour. Crumble fresh yeast and add. Mix well. Make a ball out of the dough. Cover and let rise 15-20 minutes in a warm place.

Put the dough in a large bowl and add the rest of the flour and ingredients little by little in the same order as the list of ingredients.

Knead the dough by hand for 10 minutes. Cover and let sit covered with two or three damp cloths for a couple of hours in a warm spot without air currents, When the dough has doubled in size knead it little by little and shape like 2 or 3 oval crowns as per the desired size or sizes.

Be sure to make the hole in the middle larger then desired for it will shrink when the cake is baked. Let this mass sit for an hour, covered and in a warm spot. If cold, heat oven to a little over º100ºF and turn it off. Put cakes in oven to keep them warm.

PREHEAT OVEN TO 180ºC.

Prepare ingredients to paint the cakes: beat one egg. Prepare and decorate cakes with candied fruit like slices of oranges and sliced almonds. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. If desired, stick figurines in dough.

Put cakes in preheated oven at 180º for 15-20 minutes depending on the sizes of the cakes. Remove when done and let cool. If desired, slice cakes horizontally and fill with whipped cream or almond cream.