[Sca-cooks] Persian Sherbet

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Jan 20 22:14:31 PST 2018

I don't think there is an English translation of the work.  I've been told
that a modern Turkish translationWhat would be exists.  And since the work
was an extension of Avicenna's Canon it was translated into a number of
other languages, which may make it more accessible than the Medieval Farsi.
Unfortunately, I haven't encountered a translation in a European language.

If my information is correct, the Zakhireye Khwarazmshahi gives a
description of the sharbats in current use in Persia rather than being the
origin of the drinks.

Should you find out more, please share.

Bear

I may have stumbled across a 13th century Chinese sherbet (not the frozen
kind, sadly) recipe.  I'd like more context on them in order to inform my
interpretation.  Wikipedia directs me to a Persian book called Zakhireye
Khwarazmshahi <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zakhireye_Khwarazmshahi> for
the origin of sherbets - does anyone know if an English translation exists,
or have other resources?  Wikipedia has a lovely full text scan... in
medieval Persian which is unfortunately not a language I can read.

--
Þórfinnr