[Sca-cooks] Date for battered deep-fried stuff

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Sun Jul 22 06:20:24 PDT 2018

A quick search for fried fish using oil as the search term reveals

This is an excerpt from A Book of Cookrye
(England, 1591)
The original source can be found at Mark and Jane Waks' website <http://jducoeur.org/Cookbook/Cookrye.html>
To make a Fricase of a good Haddock or Whiting. First seeth the fish and scum it, and pick out the bones, take Onions and chop them small then fry them in Butter or Oyle till they be enough, and put in your Fish, and frye them till it be drye, that doon: serve it forth with pouder of Ginger on it.

This is an excerpt from Libre del Coch
(Spain, 1520 - Robin Carroll-Mann, trans.)
The original source can be found at Mark S. Harris' Florilegium <http://www.florilegium.org/files/FOOD-MANUSCRIPTS/Guisados1-art.html>
231. FRIED DOLPHINFISH. Scale the dolphinfish, and open it, and wash it, and fry it in oil; and take a little of your oil, and a little vinegar, and heat it well, and cast it on top.

And you must know that the pelaya and the dolphinfish are no good except fried.

The hake is a fresh fish that is eaten with pepper, and your shredded parsley on top; and it is also eaten with your parsley sauce; it is also eaten fried in oil with your pepper, and orange juice; and it is eaten in crust with your pepperand oil; and at times in casserole with your oil and spices, etc.

This is an excerpt from A Book of Cookrye
(England, 1591)
The original source can be found at Mark and Jane Waks' website <http://jducoeur.org/Cookbook/Cookrye.html>
To fry Whitings. First flay them and wash them clean and scale them, that doon, lap them in floure and fry them in Butter and oyle. Then to serve them, mince apples or onions and fry them, then put them into a vessel with white wine, vergious, salt, pepper, cloves & mace, and boile them togither on the Coles, and serve it upon the Whitings.

This is an excerpt from A Book of Cookrye
(England, 1591)
The original source can be found at Mark and Jane Waks' website <http://jducoeur.org/Cookbook/Cookrye.html>

To fry a Codshead. First cleve it in peeces and washe it clean and fry it in Butter or Oyle. Then cut Onions in rundels and so frye them, that doon put them in a vessell, and put to them red wine or vinagre, salt, ginger, sinamon, cloves& mace, and boile all these well togither, and then serve it upon your cods head.
This is an excerpt from Een notabel boecxken van cokeryen
(Netherlands, ca. 1510 - C. van Tets, trans.)
The original source can be found at Willy Van Cammeren's website <http://users.pandora.be/willy.vancammeren/NBC/index.htm>
To fry sprats [smelt ?] or other fish such as carp, plaice or whatever fish you wish. Take browned rape oil and if it is not browned then brown it and when it is browned put it over the fire and let it stand on it [i.e. the fire] until it is boiling hot or is hot enough in any case. Then take the sprats or the fish which you want to fry and wash it clean. Then let it drain a little, then toss it in flour or wheat meal or do not toss it at all. Then you shall lay it thus in the aforesaid hot oiland let it fry until it is enough. Then take it out and let it drain. One always eats these sprats with vinegar or garlic[sauce]; carp with salt or in pepper [sauce]. Plaice with verjuice. And to each fish its own particular sauce.

Johnnae