[Sca-cooks] Date for battered deep-fried stuff

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Mon Jul 23 06:29:37 PDT 2018

Timbale (or Timballo) is used to describe a pan or the food prepared in the
pan.  Timbales are generally wider at the top than at the bottom.  In the
U.S., they are commonly used for serving small amounts of sauce or other
condiments or as specialized cooking pans, as with panettone.

Timbale derives from the French for drum.  Scappi's bocculo is described as
a cylindrical copper pan, a sort of timbale.  That would suggest a tapered
cylinder, which would provide a wide mouth for easy access with utensils and
a narrowing body which would use less oil than a straight walled cylinder.

Bear

Sorry, but is that a cooking utensil or a type of fish? I 'm afraid I don't
recognize either "bocculo" or "timbale". :-(

Stefan

--------
   Mark S. Harris           Austin, Texas          StefanliRous at gmail.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/marksharris