[Sca-cooks] Amomum villosum vs tsao-ko

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Mar 4 08:18:56 PST 2018

A. tsao-ko (found in SE Asia) and A. subulatum (Himalayan region) are the
source of black cardamom.  In Nepal, black cardamom is processed by heating
the seeds over an open fire so they have a smoky flavor with a camphor
under-tone  The seed pods are striated.  I've worked with it once and have
no idea what the unprocessed seed tastes like.  I've found these in some
specialty spice shops.

A. villosum is pungent and slightly bitter.  The seed pods are pebbly.  They
are processed by sun drying.  Haven't used or seen these in any shop.  Since
it's used in Chinese medicine, I'd say a Chinese market if you have one
around.  The taste is described as slightly bitter with sweet, sour, salty
and spicy undertones.  This suggests a more complex flavor than that of
black cardamom.

>From my limited experience, I suggest these spices be used sparingly.

Bear

Has anyone worked with Fructus Amomi before (_Amomum villosum_)? I couldn't
find it locally but found _Amomum tsao-ko_ which seems similar.

Anyone know if they do, in fact, taste similar? I've got a recipe calling
for it and cardamom, among other spices.

- Þórfinnr