[Sca-cooks] Vanilla in the old and new world?

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Nov 22 08:16:04 PST 2018

That the vanillin found at the dig was from vanilla beans is debatable, but
is not as baseless an overstatement as you appear to think it is.  The
second most likely source (my opinion) would be natural extraction from
lignin which produces a relative minute amount of vanillin as compared to
industrial extraction processes.  Other plants do produce vanillin, but one
needs to consider the available processing options rather than assuming the
quantities would match those of modern industry.

Vanilla orchids would not be found, simply because Megiddo is well outside
their natural range and they don't travel well.  Why destroy a bearing plant
when seed pods or extracted vanilla would be easier to ship and more
profitable?

The extract for Linares paper is a little more precise and concise than the
Smithsonian article.  The Southeast Asian source for the vanilla was an
opinion by another archeologist not involved in the study.

Vanessa Linares (Tel Aviv University), “Long Distance Trade: Vanillin as a
Mortuary Offering in Middle Bronze Age Megiddo”

Organic residue analysis was conducted on four small containers (juglets)
placed as offerings in an elite MB III (ca. 1650–1550 B.C.E.) masonry tomb
uncovered at Tel Megiddo, Israel. Compounds vanillin and
4-hydroxybenzaldehyde were identified in three out of the four juglets
examined. These compounds are the major compounds found in natural vanilla
extract. Until now it has been commonly accepted that vanilla was
domesticated in the New World and subsequently spread to other parts of the
globe. Once all possibilities of contamination were ruled out, a
post-organic residue analysis investigation of various species within the
plant kingdom from which these principle compounds could have been exploited
was conducted.

The source of vanillin from the juglets examined stem from the vanilla
orchid. This is based on the profuse quantity of vanillin found in the
juglets that could have only derived from the abundant amount of vanillin
yield from the vanilla orchid pods. This conjecture is supported by the
presence of compound 4-hydroxybenzaldehyde that is also a major component of
natural vanilla extract. After a close study of vanilla orchid plants, three
different species were identified as possible sources for vanilla
exploitation in antiquity: V. polylepsis Summerh (central east Africa), V.
albidia Blume (India), and V. abundiflora J.J. Sm. (southeast Asia). These
results shed new light on the first known exploitation of vanilla, local
uses, significance in mortuary practices, and possible long-distance trade
networks in the ancient Near East during the second millennium B.C.E.

Bear

Be aware that all that was found were traces of vanillin and other
chemicals, not actual plants. Other plants produce these same chemicals so
vanilla orchids are not found and for the scientists to claim they were was
a gross overstatement of their findings.

Richenda