[Sca-cooks] Ein schön Kochbuch

Sam Wallace guillaumedep at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 20:44:15 PDT 2018

Hello all,

It has been quite some time since I posted here, but life has kept me busy.
As I sure most of you are aware, there have been quite a number of
historical cookery documents made available both in print and online in
recent years. Many of these have been published in English translation,
making them easily accessible, at least in theory, by everyone on this
list. I wanted to mention two non-English resources that I found recently.
One is Icelandic and one is Swiss.

Pipraðir páfuglar – Matargerðarlist Íslendinga á miðöldum
https://www.forlagid.is/vara/pipradir-pafuglar/
Peppered peacocks - Icelandic cuisine in the Middle Ages
Author: Sverrir Tómasson
about $33

As you may guess from the fact that this is about medieval Icelandic
cuisine, this is a compilation resource, including both written source
materials and a discussion of archaeological evidence. It is reasonably
well organized, with sections based on various categories of food and
drink. It is written in modern Icelandic, but I was able to make use of my
phone's OCR and translation capabilities to get a good idea of what was
going on. A good resource to have if this is your particular area of
interest. Not recommended for casual browsing.

Ein schön Kochbuch 1559
https://desertina.ch/shop/index.php/produkt/ein-schoen-kochbuch-1559/
A Beautiful Cookbook 1559
Translator: Walter Letsch
about $45

This publication is a transcription and translation into modern German of a
recently discovered cookbook with annotation and glossary. It dates from
1559 with some additions from 1604 and perhaps later. It is the oldest
known German language cookbook from what is modern Switzerland. Recipes are
mostly culinary with some medicinal entries. The first print run sold out
in a day. The translator is working with the publisher to set up a second
run now. I have made inquiries to find out about international orders; the
terms and conditions page made it difficult to understand if they would do
allow them. The availability of the modern German text as well as the
transcription of the original makes this a great resource for anyone
interested in medieval German cookery.

As an additional bit of fun, one of the professors from a medieval German
cooking list I am on posted something to the effect of "Hey guys, you have
got to check this out!" followed by this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSAqTdc-Y2g

Don't blame me; I'm just the messenger.

All the best,

Guillaume