[Sca-cooks] Ein schon Kochbuch

Sam Wallace guillaumedep at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 17:44:32 PDT 2018

All,

I submitted an order for this book and got a confirmation email saying that
I would be contacted when the reprint is available. So far, so good.

Another pair of resources that I managed to find get recently are the Peter
Lang printing of Kuchenmeisterei and a Polish and English book prosaically
entitled "The Cuisine of the Teutonic Grand Masters in Malbork Castle".

Kuchenmeisterei
https://www.peterlang.com/view/title/53264
$119.95
Translator: Trude Ehlert (modern German)
The first printed cookbook. This edition comprises transcriptions of two
versions of the text along with translations into modern German. There are
extensive notes, a glossary, a recipe concordance of 7 editions and a lot
of other great information about this oft reprinted work. It is available
in both hard copy and electronic format. I personally find having the
transcription and translation on facing pages to be extremely helpful (I
got the hard copy edition). Highly recommended for anyone interested in
medieval German cookery.

Cuisine of the Teutonic Grand Masters
https://www.amazon.com/Cuisine-Teutonic-Masters-Malbork-Castle/dp/8370737943
$18.00
Author: Bogdan Galazka
The cover of the book states that the author "has gathered together 50
medieval recipes" for a variety of dishes. Alas, inside the book it is a
bit more honest in saying that the recipes were inspired by the originals.
It is a shame, too, as medieval Polish culinary resources are rare. In the
foreword, there is mention of the order's records being perused in creating
this book, so there are written resources still in existence, if not
readily available to the rest of the world. In fact, I went to the museum's
web site and they have a research library available to the public. I am
going to try to contact them and see if I can get anything more substantial
than this cookbook in terms of historical value. Let my experience save you
the trouble: I do not recommend this book to anyone interested in
recreating or researching medieval cookery.

With kind regards,

Guillaume