[Sca-cooks] European squash/pumpkin/gourd?

James Prescott prescotj at telusplanet.net
Wed Oct 17 11:13:33 PDT 2018

All of the following might be for old world gourd, or new world squash,
or both, or neither.

We have four probable new world squash recipes, such as "Otra manera de
calabazas", in de Nola (1520 Spanish).  One possible in Livro de Cozinha
(c.1500 Portuguese).  There is "Potaige de courge" in Livre Fort
Excellent (1555 French).  Two, such as "Lagenaria gourd", in Rumpolt
(1581 German); plus the "Erdtepffel" recipe which is much debated, and
which I conclude is probably a recipe for squash.  There is "How to make
succade" in Battus (1593 Dutch), and "To cook squash" in Koge Bog (1616
Danish).

Italian has already been mentioned, with four recipes in Scappi (1570).
  There is one distantly possible in the Transylvanian cookbook (c. 1600).

There are also a few recipes in earlier cookbooks which can only be for
old world gourd due to the dates.

Thorvald