[Sca-cooks] Grape syrup (was: Rock)

Galefridus Peregrinus galefridus at optimum.net
Fri Sep 21 14:58:02 PDT 2018

I’m finding the discussion of grape syrup interesting, particularly since I’ll be spending some time this evening rendering down a gallon or so of muscat grape juice to syrup for an olive cure. I’ve done this previously using a standard copper bottom Revereware stainless steel pot. Butbased on this discussion, maybe I should use one of our glazed steel or earthenware pots.

The olive recipe gives no instructions on preparing the syrup — it only suggests using hepsema (έψημα) as an alternative for honey. I figured out that hepsema is more or less equivalent to sapa, which (according to Pliny) can be made by reducing grape juice to 1/3 of its original volume.

— Galefridus