[Sca-cooks] white sausages

Aruvqan aruvqan at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 13:20:45 PST 2019

On 2/12/2019 10:44 AM, The Eloquent Page wrote:
> Sorry for the late response - the white sausages I made were the ones
> in Markham's English Housewife - oatmeal, cream, egg yolk, pepper,
> clove, saffron, mace, currants, dates, sugar and suet.  They were
> extremely tasty, but I had a problem with the casings breaking in the
> hour of boiling the recipe called for.
>
> Katherine

markham white sausage
3 pints oatmeal, 2 lb beef suet minced, 10 yolks and half that of
whites, .25 oz nutmeg, .25 oz sugar, 1 qt cream, a little mace and salt,
sausage skins for stuffing boil in fair broth with a little wine,
lettuce and spinach whole in the same broth.

sounds interesting, could it be done in a pudding cloth rather than guts?

sort of grabbed via google book thingy ... from what looks like a
commentary and foot not sort of deal, just a fast whip through google to
see if there was something online i could rummage fast. I don't see a
mention of currents or dates, but they were common ingredients,
especially the currents. Not overmuch sugar, so it wouldn't be oversweet
so definitely supper not dessert. love to try it in a pudding cloth ...
though chicken instead of mutton broth. type of lettuce? romaine/cos
rather than iceberg though we tend to think bok choy for cooked greens
[mmmm lions head meatball soup!]

---