[Sca-cooks] white sausages

The Eloquent Page books at theeloquentpage.com
Wed Feb 13 09:25:17 PST 2019

My redaction -

2 cups milk
1 cup cream (as heavy as possible)
1 cup steel cut oats or whole oat groats
3 tbs chopped suet - roughly pea sized
1 date - finely chopped
2 tbs currants
6 tbs sugar
3/8 tsp ground clove
3/8 tsp ground mace
1/8 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp sale
4 egg yolks
sausage casings

Soak oats in milk for at least 12 hours.  Bring cream to a boil then
remove from heat.  Add soaked oats and steep at least overnight.
Ideally the oats will have absorbed nearly all the cream.  Add egg
yolks, spices, fruit, sugar and suet and mix thoroughly.
Stuff mixture into sausage casings, leaving some space for expansion.
Gently boil, pricking as the sausages swell, until the mixture is cooked.
Remove, cool, and store for at least 24 hours.
When ready to serve, gently boil them to reheat (or microwave) and then
grill or broil until browned.  Set on platters and trim edges with sugar.