[Sca-cooks] halloo the list??

Johnna Holloway johnnae at mac.com
Tue Jan 8 04:52:29 PST 2019

The problem is the Society has fully embraced Facebook. Events have Facebook pages. Maybe they also have web pages but the current up to date news tends to be on the Facebook pages. Shires and baronies now post only to Facebook. They have dropped their web pages and email lists. It’s far easier and quicker.

Facebook is free, it’s easy to post to, and can be monitored on our gadgets and smartphones. It is accepted by the younger generation, the very demographic we want to reach and have join us.

SCA Cooks is one of those lists which has suffered.

The Facebook group SCA Cooks has 2,208 Members <https://www.facebook.com/groups/604657969575143/members/>. (Did this group ever reach those numbers?)

It promises---
DESCRIPTION
Since there seems to be no standard forum for SCA cooks to network, I have created this group. please share it and invite anyone who cooks in the SCA or has interest in authentic medieval cuisine. Share insights, ask questions! Anything about Medieval cooking and cooking for the SCA.

It is my objective to strengthen the feast as a part of all SCA events through greater understanding and embracing of period cooking, the elimination of misconceptions about the nature of medieval cooking, and the proper interpretation of cooking techniques so that they may be successfully applied to modern techniques and performed within the common limitations of on-site kitchens.

Does it offer anything that this list did not offer? Doubtful.

If we do not want all our information and conversations to be on Facebook, then we need to write the BoD and demand  webpages and e lists be maintained for the sake of the non-Facebook members.

Otherwise everything will move to Facebook.

Johnnae