[Sca-cooks] The collection

Matthew Maddoux tdoughter23 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 11 19:53:19 PST 2019

My goal is to be a better cook all around, and have a better knowledge base
so I can help with feasts.

Some of the local cooks and I are planning on hosting mini-feast nights
where we invite random members of our groups to dinner in persona.  The
cooks bring out a feast, and we share our art and explain what SCA cookery
is.

I’d like to have a smattering of periods and culture, so if someone in my
Barony asks, I can bring them a book that’s close, and will put them on the
right path.

I will never be a great cook.  But I can help someone else become one.

On Friday, January 11, 2019, Johnna Holloway <johnnae at mac.com> wrote:

> It was so nice meeting you last year at WCCS and I am so sorry to hear you
> won’t be able to join us in Antir.
> I’ll be there because I already know I have a conflict with the Known
> World Cooks and Bards which is being held
> Labor Day weekend here in the Midrealm.
>
> Johnnae
>
> > On Jan 11, 2019, at 6:16 PM, Christy <chefchristy at kingstaste.com> wrote:
> >
> > That just moved me to tears. (Of course, I'm weepy a lot just now, but
> still.)  I want to do all of those things (well most, I don't want to play
> with hot sugar so much), and have done quite a bit of it.  Losing my
> cookbook collection has hurt, no doubt.  I am blessed to be the recipient
> of some of Devra's collection though, she is downsizing and heard about my
> fire.  I had several boxes of historic cookbooks to open on Christmas Eve
> and Day!  Some are old favorites and some are new, so that will be
> wonderful to delve into.
> >
> > It never occurred to me to 'build' a library, I just accumulated books
> and read them, and either kept them or didn't, and then organized what I
> had.  I started when I was 6.  I had a yard sale a few years back where a
> young man wanted all of my books.  He said that he had always wanted to
> build a personal library but didn't know where to start.  It was late on
> Sunday and we proceeded to fill his car with as many of my used paperbacks
> as we could stuff in.  I set him up with a whole lot of great things, and I
> know he was excited.
> >
> > I'm sorry I'm not going to hear your talk at the WCCS.  It was wonderful
> to meet you at this past one, and get to look at your yummy books :)
> >
> > Christianna

Goðbrandr Njalsson
Holder of the Sable Thistle for Meadmaking
mka
Matthew Maddoux