[Sca-cooks] Kalács

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Jan 13 19:22:02 PST 2019

Kolache or kolach, a Czech delicacy of fruit or cheese surrounded by a soft
dough.  I've seen both closed and open kolache and the ubiquitous but not
very authentic sausage roll.  Most, if not all, of the Slavic countries have
a variant of the word, which derives from the Old Slavonic "kolo" (circle,
wheel).  I failed to check Dembinska, so thanks for reminding me.  Makes me
wonder if there might not be something in Meat Under the Saddle.

Bear

Dembińska, Food and Drink in Medieval Poland, has no recipe, but does
mention "koláče" three times, defines it as "Czech flat cakes", and in
one mention says "apple koláče".

Thorvald