[Sca-cooks] Cocuzze in the Opera of Bartolomeo Scappi

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Sun Jun 9 11:18:57 PDT 2019

"Cocuzza (cucuzza, pl. cucuzzi)" is common usage rather than scientifically identifying.  The word can be translated to English as "marrow", "pumpkin", or Cucurbita maxima (a species of New World squash with a number of varietals).

The Sicilaian usage of "cucuzza" appears to be specifically for a bottle gourd (Langenaria) of the snake or yard long variety although other types of bottle gourd are used in various modern recipes.

As to Scully's choice of the word pumpkin, it is the modern form of the word "pompion."  The word first appears in the Grete Herball (1526) being used to describe a type of pumpkin or melon deriving through French from the Latin pepo."  Earlier usage in French may have referred to basket gourds (Langenaria), but that is a speculation on my part.  "Marrow" in this usage is of 17th Century origin.  The scientific taxonomy of "C. maxima" is 17th or 18th Century.  Thus, Scully's choice of "pumpkin" in a translation of Scappi is in keeping with the translation of a 16th Century text.

Just one of those little things that make working from Scully veddy interestink.

Bear