[Sca-cooks] Indian (New World) was Re: Gourd Recipe in the Transylvanian Cookbook

Terry t.d.decker at att.net
Sat Jun 29 19:48:37 PDT 2019

This started as some comments I made about cucurbits in relation to an
obvious gourd recipe from the Transylvanian cookbook, including my
speculation as to it's use with New World squash. ?? I was provided with
modern recipes using New world squash and some corrective information as
to how the dish was served.?? The nomenclature in Rumpolt demonstrates
that New World foods were being in Central Europe by 1581, but not that
squash were being substituted for gourds in the later recipe
collection.?? However, with some other comments in the thread, it does
raise the interesting question of the usage of Indianische or Indian

The usage of Indianische (Indian) for New World dates to 1492 when
Columbus believed he had found the islands off of India. Basically, it
was known where things came from, but the geographic location was off.

On the voyage of 1501-2, Amerigo Vespucci demonstrated that (South)
America was not Asia, but a separate land mass.?? The Waldseemuller Map
of 1507 labels South America as America.?? North America is labelled, the
Indies.?? The first circumnavigation of the globe by Ferdinand Magellan
(1519-22) located Asia and the Asiatic isles, but Magellan's death on
the voyage and legal squabbling over the voyage and questions of mutiny
prevented immediate dissemination of the information of the voyage.?? In
1524, the Spanish Crown created the Council of the Indies to oversee
Columbus's and other New World finds.

Leonard Fuchs came to Tubingen in 1533 at the behest of the Duke of
Wurtemberg and began a collection of flora from all over the world.?? He
began work on his Herbal about this time, publishing the work in 1542
(I've also seen 1540 and 1541 as the date of publication, but lets go
with 1542).?? In his German version of the work, published in 1543, Fuchs
uses Indianische a number of time, but maize is labelled Turkishe Korn
(the Turks were early adopters possibly receiving their first samples
through the Genoan?? silk traders based in Spain) apparently because they
introduced the grain into Central Europe.?? Interestingly, a New World
pepper is labelled Calcutische pfeffer.

The first major accounts of the Spanish explorations which assembled the
information about Asia and the New World were written by Peter Martyr
who served with the Council of Castile and the Council of the Indies and
based his reports on personal acquaintance with many of the explorers as
well as the written reports and letters.?? His writings were published
posthumously as De Orbo Novo in 1530.?? An edition was printed in Basle
in 1533, but translations and widespread publication doesn't start until
the 1550s.?? As the geographical knowledge spread, the earlier usages
remained, but were refined and modified to match the new in formation.??
For example, (IIRC) the first distinct use of East Indies (as to
differentiate from the West Indies) occurs in English in 1555.

Bear

On 6/29/2019 7:05 PM, Sharon wrote