[Sca-cooks] Arabic terminology in Anonymous Andalusian and Kitab Wasf al-At’imah al-Mu’tada (The Description of Familiar Foods)

Terry Decker t.d.decker at att.net
Thu Mar 14 07:35:13 PDT 2019

If memory serves, you will likely want to look at Baumer, The History of Central Asia Vol. 2, which provides information about the interaction of Persia and China.  I skimmed the text last year, so I may or may not be correct.

Using sources in English about the etymology of "sharbat" it appears to be a loan word into Persian from the Arabic root "sharaba" (to drink).  "Sharbat" and "sharab" are related but not the same.  Usage in Late Medieval Arabic, "sharbat" refers to a drink of fruit juice and sugar, while "sharab" is a reference to wine or a drink containing alcohol.  The words appear, in various spellings, in Arabic, Farsi and Turkic (keep in mind that these are all languages with different roots that have shared words).

If my sources are correct (please take with a grain of salt until you verify), the syrups appear in Avicenna's Canon of Medicine (early 11th Century) and the word "sharbat" appears in Gorgani's Zakhira-i Khawarazmshahi (12th Century Persian).  There may be other earlier references that I haven't encountered, but your Chinese references may come out of trade with Persia between the 10th and 12th Centuries.

Bear